When the authorities who care for the Lewis organ in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Glasgow, wondered how to collect donations for the instrument's upkeep, the penny quickly dropped.
They turned to Shires – and we were delighted to make an 8ft Principal display pipe from polished zinc complete with a slot for notes or coins. It contains a canister to receive the money and a padlocked hinged plate at the rear to access it.
The three-manual Kelvingrove organ, of 48 speaking stops, was built in 1901and hired from Lewis for the Glasgow International Exhibition of the same year. It was bought by the Glasgow Corporation in 1902 and moved to the new art gallery.
In 1941, the gallery was damaged during an air raid and the organ was considered unplayable. Repairs were made and the instrument was fortunate to escape any attempts to modernise it. The organ continued to flourish until the mid-1970s, when its condition deteriorated, and a full restoration became necessary.
For enthusiasts, the glory of the instrument is the retention of its character as an outstanding example late 19th century organ building. This is the specification.
Leave a Reply.